ANNOUNCE: mailman 2.1 on kde.org

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Apr 5 00:32:50 BST 2003

On Friday 04 April 2003 15:34, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Please note that I updated mailman to 2.1 today (it took a bit
> longer than I expected unfortunately ;(
>
> This version handles the outgoing mail a bit differently and I also
> removed all custom patches we had applied to our old mailman
> (to make it easier to do updates).

Argh. This new mailman apparently adds mailing-list footers (like the
one for the KMail mailing-list and the kde-pim ml) as text/plain
message part unless a message is text/plain (in this case the footer is
simply appended to the message body). This has two effects:
- The mailing-list footer is put into a frame in current KMail (because
all text/plain attachments which are displayed inline are put into a
nice frame to separate them from the message body and to make saving
easy by providing the filename in the header of the frame). This looks
a bit ugly and could be fixed by omitting the frame in case the
text/plain message part doesn't have a (file-)name.
- PGP/MIME signed messages are now displayed as partly signed because
multipart/signed messages are converted to multipart/mixed messages
with a multipart/signed message part and a text/plain message part (the
mailing list footer).

The first problem can easily be worked around. But the second problem
can't be worked around since such a mangled message doesn't look
different from a normal multipart/signed message with an unsigned
attachment.

I'd very much appreciate if this IMO wrong behavior of mailman could be
turned off. In the past mailman always simply appended the footer at
the end of the message and as everything after the closing boundary of
a multipart/* message is ignored this wasn't a problem. Of course the
footer wasn't shown for multipart/* messages because of this. But I
think that the new behavior is much worse.

Regards,
Ingo