kcombobox wheelmouse scrolling

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Mon Sep 30 16:29:25 BST 2002

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 03:25:17PM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> [...] i can also see someone scrolling the web page and stopping
> directly over a combobox and then starting to scroll again later
> resulting in a scroll of the of the combobox instead. i'm not sure if
> either of these are common enough use cases, though.

they are - 100%.
a widget that moved under the mouse should _never_ "hijack" it.
timeouts and movement thresholds are confusing. the only case that
should lead to the combo getting the scroll events is an explicit
enterEvent (that is, the mouse was outside the widget before) caused by
_mouse_ movement (as opposed to widget movement).
even this leaves one case: you scroll and some widget "lands" a few
pixels apart from the mouse. when you now unintentionally move the mouse
inside the widget (because you're busy with reading), you get surprised
as well. there does not seem to be any solution but a minimal
pixels/second threshold or disabling combo scrolling inside qscrollviews
entirely (note that it is evil to rely on the presence of scrollbars -
they might appear and disappear in dynamic contexts).

greetings