Shortcut troubles

Stefan Asserhäll stefan.asserhall at telia.com
Sun Sep 22 20:13:42 BST 2002

Hi,

I did a hack in Qt to display warnings for shortcut clashes in menus,
to detect and fix them in the Swedish translation. The hack is strictly
for debugging, and outputs a warning when a clash is found using
qWarning. To get the warnings, a program must be run, to create
the menus, and each RMB menu in the program must be clicked.
Patch to qmenudata.cpp attached. I also sent an e-mail to
kde-i18n-doc with this info.

With these warnings in place I found two bugs (patches attached):
1. Upper and lower case are not handled by kdelibs/kdeui/kaccellgen.h.
2. Klipper shows '&' as '_' under the next character. (I'm not sure
    that my patch solves the entire problem).

There are also some clashes in the original English strings. Here
are a few examples:
  noatun: shortcut clash: '&Pause', '&Play'
  noatun: shortcut clash: 'E&qualizer...', '&Quit'
  kbabel: shortcut clash: 'Inser&t Tag', 'Cu&t'
  kbabel: shortcut clash: 'Inser&t Argument', 'Cu&t'
  kbabel: shortcut clash: 'Inser&t Argument', 'Inser&t Tag'
  kbabel: shortcut clash: 'Inser&t Tag', 'Cu&t'
  kbabel: shortcut clash: 'F&ind Selected Text', '&Insert Next Tag'
  kbabel: shortcut clash: 'Con&figure Dictionary', '&Find Text'
  catalogmanager: shortcut clash: 'Next Te&mplate Only', 'Next &Marked'
  catalogmanager: shortcut clash: '&Open Template', '&Open'
  konqueror: shortcut clash: '&Find File...', '&Forward'
  konqueror: shortcut clash: '&Properties', '&Paste'
  konqueror: shortcut clash: '&Properties', 'O&pen With...'
  konqueror: shortcut clash: 'A&dd to Bookmarks', '&Delete'
  konqueror: shortcut clash: 'O&pen With...', '&Paste'
  konqueror: shortcut clash: 'Open in &Background Tab', '&Back'
  konqueror: shortcut clash: 'Open in &New Tab', 'Create &New'
  kate: shortcut clash: '&Linux', '&Large'
  kate: shortcut clash: '&Close Terminal Emulator', '&Copy'
  kmail: shortcut clash: '&Move to Trash', '&Move To'
  kmail: shortcut clash: 'Save &As...', 'Reply to &All...'
  kmail: shortcut clash: '&Create Filter', '&Copy To'

Should these clashes be considered bugs, or can they just be ignored?
They are quite tricky to fix in some cases, e.g. for Konqueror, since the
menu items are reused in various RMB menus.

/ Stefan Asserhäll