System tray.

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Sat Sep 21 05:19:43 BST 2002

On Friday 20 September 2002 23:34, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > I found out about it today. Did anyone hear about it before? It's
> > dated on July 29th so it's not exactly new. It seems to implement
> > the docking as defined on:
> > http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/systemtray/systemtray-spec.htm
>
> Note, this spec is not final; in particular the "message balloon"
> stuff was going to come out because people wanted to make their own
> balloons instead of having the tray do it. (I still like the balloons
> being done in a single consistent place, but there wasn't good
> consensus.)

Well, I like that idea too. But there would have to be a way to specify
what kind of a balloon tooltip widget we want to see - pure and simply,
looking almost like a tooltip or one with an OK (or similar) and close
buttons, something along the lines of:
http://kopete.kde.org/img/shots/05/desktop1.png
But then we would have to propagate the button clicks back to the app.
By the way, do you guys implement message handling in Gnome or just
docking?

Zack

--
"There is hope... but not for us." -Kafka