CVS server, branching

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Fri Sep 20 21:21:01 BST 2002

On Friday 20 September 2002 09:38, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Friday 20 September 2002 09:29, Rainer Endres wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > > If yes, do I have to follow some naming convention?
> >
> > for what you plan "make_it_cool" got pretty common lately.
>
> Which is a silly name since it has no version numbers. You can't use that
> name again in that CVS dir/package. Ever.

Well, make_it_cool branches are used to rewrite stuff while the HEAD
keeps stable. As soon as you're done with it, it's done and the tag name
can be used for other stuff again. So I'll always keep with
make_it_cool_branch when I have to create a branch. As you can simply
move make_it_cool_branch back to HEAD if you need to.

Greetings, Stephan