kdenetwork/kmail

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Thu Sep 19 03:59:43 BST 2002

On Wednesday 18 September 2002 22:26, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Wednesday September 18, 2002 07:09, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > The problems we're struggling right now include:
> > - who's the maintainer bs,
>
> Then quit struggling!  It takes two sides to struggle, so if one side
> just drops it, there's no problem anymore.  There is a branch for
> each would-be maintainer, and the threat of ping-pong commits has
> been eliminated, so all that's left is unimportant.

Well, I probably should rephrase that. I'm not struggling at all, like I
said I don't really care about who's maintainer, the mail client is my
top and only concern in this discussion.

> I think that development process is a critical issue that is
> absolutely worth a fork.  It's nice to sit and talk all day about
> what plan you agree on, but the fact is KMail has always lagged
> behind the rest of KDE and behind user expectations:

Neil, like I said I agree with everything you said, but with nine people
on the team fork is really not the most efficient way to go.

> It's this lag, and the resulting frustration from people who tried to
> alleviate that lag only to see their patches dismissed, that I think
> Aaron was referring to.

I know what the problems are. I started contributing code to KMail
because I wanted to help to solve them.

> But now, finally, we have a maintainer willing to break that pattern,
> and as a KMail user and once would-be contributor, I'm glad to see
> it.  Now I'm disappointed that both he and the HEAD maintainer seem
> so much more interested in politics than code, but I'm hopeful that
> in the end that we'll have two productively developed KMails.
>
> As for "maturity," you need to take the first step.  Just because you
> might disagree with them, there is no reason to belittle them or
> dismiss their concerns as "immature."  Everyone involved has earned
> some respect here, so everyone should give that respect.

Don't get me wrong, I respect everyone in here, I'm just a little tired
and frustrated with this situation.

Zack

--
Linux: In an insane world, it's the sanest choice.