kdenetwork/kmail

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Wed Sep 18 22:12:40 BST 2002

On Wednesday 18 September 2002 17:02, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 September 2002 21:34, Marc Mutz wrote:
> > Yet, this doesn't solve the problem at all. We have two
> > people fighting for maintainership. One of them is accepted by the
> > vast majority of developers, the other one is a valueable KMail
> > developer that would be bad to lose, but who doesn't want anybody
> > else but him maintaining KMail.
>
> I actually see two of those. Neither Michael nor Don seem to allow
> the 'other' to be maintaining KMail. Michael isn't behaving a single
> bit better than Don in this dispute. Nor is he behaving much worse
> either, as both are rather stubborn for my liking. And both have
> their points. Both of them to me have roughly the same 'right' to the
> maintainership, so if they can't settle the issue cooperatively they
> shouldn't prevent the other from maintaining either.
>
> Whatever way you look at it, I think Stephan was right in his
> conclusion that KMail shouldn't have a single 'Maintainer' guy.

Yes, I also like this idea the best. To be honest I don't give a damn
who's going to be the maintainer anymore, be it Don, Michael, George
Bush or Britney Spears, as the whole 'maintainer' concept is obviously
not working for KMail. Michael became maintainer without discussing the
change with Don who was the maintainer at that time and now Don is
trying to do the same to Michael. It's childish and stupid. We're at
the point where developers are resolving disputes between maintainers -
how ridicules is that?!
Like I said I like Stephan's idea a lot. Michael is the maintainer now,
Don in 1.5, Mickey Mouse in 1.6 - as long as the whole discussion ends
I'm OK with everything. We might just as well vote for the next
'release dude' after each major KDE release. There's not more than 20
people contributing to KMail at this point so I don't think we'll have
any problems counting votes.

Zack

--
If it ain't broke, you need more software.