kdenetwork/kmail

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Wed Sep 18 16:39:55 BST 2002

Am Mittwoch, 18. September 2002 17:06 schrieb Michael Häckel:
> On Wednesday 18 September 2002 10:18, Don Sanders wrote:
> > Just saying I'm allowed to fork is not sufficient action for me to
> > consider my offer accepted.
> >
> > I don't consider my offer accepted until the KMail2 package and its
> > dependencies have been accepted into cvs, preferable into kde-pim so
> > that I can work on it, that's what I mean by "work on KMail2".
>
> You didn't say this in your initial mail. Anyway you know yourself, that I
> can't offer this to you.
>
> > It seems we can't come to an agreement regarding my zero-copy parsing
> > patch, and I consider that a fix for a grave bug and a security flaw
> > and a patch that merits a fork if it is not accepted.
> >
> > Now many people have asked that I wait until KDE 3.1 is released
> > before I fork proper so that's what I would like to do, wait until
> > KDE 3.1 is released.
>
> Again: I don't care about your fork. Do what you like.
>
> However I don't accept this for the maintainer discussion. You change your
> opinion daily. Yesterday you said you want to have this issue resolved
> within a week. If this is delayed again, even more time is wasted in
> further such useless discussions.
>
> Well, you promised to not make any changes to KMail/HEAD until this is
> resolved, but you already broke your last promise which was to not commit
> any changes to KMail/HEAD that are against general agreement with your
> about box change. Therefore I don't trust you.

BTW: In my eyes you loose momentum with every of these mails you write.
I don't know what's happening between the two of you, but both from the code
and from the mails I see here and on the kmail mailing list, it appears more
and more that you try to defend your maintainer "status".

IMHO you don't get anything from beeing so stubbern. Don (and most other
kmail developers by now) won't touch kmail HEAD anymore at least til 3.1 and
concentrate on the make_it_cool_branch and if you don't take care, the defacto
kmail will become shortly the one in the branch and you activly removed your
name from that afaik.

To make a long story short: you're both overacting from what I see and if you
won't come together on this issue, you'll remove all fun from kmail hacking
and you will have lost all co-developers before you notice and then you can
find out how boring the job of a maintainer is, that noone wants to develop
for.

A suggestion: remove the "maintainer" from the about box completly and make
Michael release coordinator for kmail 1.4.x and make the branch a 1.5.x that
Don coordinates. kmail has come a long way without a single maintainer, but
has been developed by a group of developers and I think it's time you get that
straight and stop pissing each other off.

Greetings, Stephan