Binary incompatibility in KLineEdit

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Sat Sep 14 02:58:54 BST 2002

On Friday 13 September 2002 05:36, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Fre, 13 Sep 2002, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > KLineEdit has some binary imcompatible changes. There were added some
> > virtual functions as the attached diff against the 3.0 version shows.
> > Could somebody who undestands better than me what these changes were
> > intended for please have a look.
>
> However, I agree, the setSmartTextUPdate() change should be reverted, as it
> doesn't fit into kdelibs. If at all, it should be fixed in Qt.

The original instention of the function was to address an issue in KIO's
default progress dialog.  I changed that dialog to use read-only lineedits
for URL's instead of label's.  However, if you select the URL to copy it, it
did not stay selected ; so I figured this must be because it was being
constantly updated.  That did not solve the problem.  However, I found
a use for it in kcmshell clock.  It had the same issue I described above.
If you still feel this does not belong there, feel free to revert it.

> I've tried to contact Dawit about this, but got no answer (at least as far
> as I remember :) ).

ehhh... when ?  I posted the patch for this and asked for feedback and the
only person that responded was Waldo:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=103022455230516&w=2

I only just noted your objection to my commit message when I was searching for
the above link...

Regards,
Dawit A.