READ: bugzilla coming real soon now :)

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Thu Sep 12 15:33:36 BST 2002

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 03:08:46PM +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:

> On Thursday 12 September 2002 14:45, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I think, I got most issues solved now and we could go with
> > bugzilla starting tomorrow.
> >
> > There is of course still room for improvement, but users can
> > report bugs now and developers could easily modify them if
> > it would be our main system :)
> >
> > So I ask everyone caring for bug reports to give bugzilla.kde.org
> > a last test. If nothing major arises, I will switch DNS tomorrow
> > and after that moment bugs.kde.org will run with a different
> > backend and you won't be able to change bug reports anymore
> > with either mail or kbugbuster (these are the major points that
> > will be improved after the system works :).
> >
> > BTW: if you can't edit bug reports, you should check if the address
> > you use to log in into bugzilla is the same as in kde-common/accounts.
> > All these addresses have the right to change other user's permissions,
> > so use that with care.
> >
> > Greetings, Stephan
> > P.S. As soon as the system works, I hope people other than me will
> > document our view on bugzilla (which is slightly different than what
> > bugzilla was made for).
>
> The search page is in one word 'unusable'. Far too many input fields, not
> enough comments, severly cluttered  and too heigh to fit on any screen.
>
> Searching on bugs per version strikes me as very unneeded. I remember we only
> had 3 severity options, 2 status, no OS,
> What about severely stripping that page down; since it is the page new
> visitors will see first. A first impression I don't want to cripple anyone's
> poor brain with :)
>
> Hihi; the "Give me a clue about how to use this form." at the bottom tells me
> enough :)
>
> Darn that thing is ugly..

After having used bugzilla for a couple of queries my opinion is
that it's half as bad as it looks like :)

For doing really complex queries the query page is pretty good IMHO.

For the common case of 'Hey, I just want to see all the bugs of
package xzy' it is usually sufficient to either enter the package
name (or the bug number) right on the bugzilla.kde.org front page or
in the first lineedit on the query page and just hit enter.

The old bug system offered only the above described 'common case' ,
or rather: it offered what bugzilla provides basically at the very
same 'location' : on the front page.

On top of that many people used the bug: shortcut in Konqueror.
Technically it should be no problem to change that shortcut to work
with bugzilla.

So all in all I think the old features are available at the same
quality in bugzilla plus we get the possibility to do complex
queries. (and more other query-unrelated features of course :)

Simon