QDataStream format change in Qt3.1

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Sep 12 13:01:53 BST 2002

 Hello,

 QDataStream default version in Qt3.1 changed from 4 to 5, making the two
formats incompatible(*). QDataStream is used for marshalling data at least in
ksycoca and DCOP, which AFAIK are supposed to stay backwards compatible.

 The ksycoca file is supposed to be used even by KDE2 apps (I wonder if they
actually really work in KDE3, even though the QDataStream change Qt2.x->Qt3.0
doesn't seem to affect any types used in ksycoca - if they don't work, maybe
we should try harder for KDE4 ). Making sure the format of ksycoca stays the
same is simple, just explicitly using QDataStream::setVersion() in all
ksycoca-related code.

 DCOP is worse, stubs suck, and the recent DCOPRef idea came too late - most
code uses QDataStream directly, so there's no way how to call
QDataStream::setVersion() there. If QDataStream would at least write the
version before writing the very first element into the stream, that could
handle the problem, but QDataStream doesn't do so. Any better idea than
asking TT to make static QDataStream::setDefaultVersion() ? Or shouldn't we
just care?

 Does somebody know any other place where changes in QDataStream format could
break things?

 (*) Actually the only change between versions 4 and 5 seems to be QImage, so
for practical purposes it probably can be considered compatible, but still,
the problem of future versions remains.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer