[Kroupware] Re: Preannounce: Kroupware Project started

Marc Mutz Marc.Mutz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Sep 11 19:03:52 BST 2002

On Wednesday 11 September 2002 17:04, Hamish Rodda wrote:
<snip>
> The uploading part is taken care of with timsieved, which implements
> their "managesieve" protocol.  I wrote a kioslave for it, which I
> still have if anyone would like it. I also remember seeing something
> similar in kdenonbeta, though at a glance I can't see it right now.

The one in kdenonbeta was written by Simon Josefsson, well-known for his
managesieve/sieve mode for emacs and his involvement in the Sieve WG.

It currently lacks the ability to return the sieve capabilities of the
server in meta data. Are you interested in implementing that in either
slave?

Another thing would be to write a common abstraction layer above
tcpslavebase for IMAP-like protocols. It could handle SASL mechanisms
and provide the low-level parsing for the IMAP/ACAP/managesieve data
structures (strings, parenthized lists,...).

> To me the time consuming part is writing the gui to create the sieve
> scripts in the first place.

I'm taking care of that for 3.2 in KMail.

> > The common thing with these two is that it's done in the client,
> > and that is the best. Consider a server with a million users
> > spending 99% cpu time on filtering - not exactly impressive. So for
> > now we won't spend time on it, but it's an open project, so if
> > someone volunteers...
>
> Do you have numbers to back that up?  From appearances, sieve seems
> designed to handle this load... "The language is not Turing-complete:
> it provides no way to write a loop or a function and variables are
> not provided."  With only the particularly savvy users likely to
> write very complicated scripts, I'm pretty certain you'd be in the
> clear.
<snip>

Q> require [ "regex", "body" ];
Q> if body :regex "(.*)*" { ... }

can be pretty nasty. ;-)

Marc

--
Mutig warf sich die kleine Überwachungskamera zwischen Täter und Opfer!
                                        --Rena Tangens / FoeBuD e.V.