[Kde-pim] Re: Preannounce: Kroupware Project started

Don Sanders sanders at kde.org
Wed Sep 11 10:34:14 BST 2002

On Wednesday 11 September 2002 17:21, Matthias Kalle Dalheimer wrote:
> Hi Don,
>
> thanks for your heartwarming words!
>
> I will have to leave many of the actual technical answers to
> Karl-Heinz, Bo and Steffen, since they are busy with the KMail
> side, while I will mainly be on the KOrganizer side of this
> project. But as a general note, I don't think that we will get
> around having three branches right now:

Understood.

> HEAD: stabilizes towards KDE 3.1
> make_it_cool: longer-term architectural changes
> kroupware_branch: only as many architectural changes as are
> necessary to meet our project objectives; drop-dead deadline on
> Oct. 15

Understood.

> But of course I hope that we can integrate the branches as soon as
> possible; an outline of how this can be done is contained in my
> answer to Zack's email (sorry, I am not as virtuous with message
> references...).

Yes, I posted my own reply to Zack's message basically saying the same
thing you did I think.

> And, of course, if we need an architectural change for Kroupware
> that you have already achieved in make_it_cool, we would be stupid
> to reinvent the wheel; we'll certainly want to use your code then.

Excellent I'm very happy to hear you say that.

> And likewise, we would be very glad if you can make use of anything
> we do. (The more we take from each other, the higher the hopes that
> the three branches will converge again.) But, as I said, how this
> is actually done is something I will have to leave to my colleagues
> to work out. (Unlike Dilbert's pointy-haired boss, I know when to
> get out of the way of my employees :-)) Karl-Heinz
> <mailto:khz at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se> is currently working on
> the KParts integration, Bo <mailto:bo at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>
> and Steffen <mailto:steffen at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se> are
> working on offline IMAP support.

Ok. I might look at KParts integration this weekend myself and I'll
definitely make sure I send a patch to Karl-Heinz for his review.

> These two areas are probably the
> biggest architectural changes we have to work on.

I conversed with Bo about offline IMAP support. That discussion was
short but I think that was because we couldn't find anything to
disagree about.

> Steffen is also
> the project leader for the client side of Kroupware. The server
> side is led by Martin Konold of long-term KDE fame
> <mailto:konold at erfrakon.de>, the project as a whole by Bernhard
> Reiter of Ägypten fame <bernhard.reiter at intevation.de>.

Ok, one last thing and please, please, please people don't take
offense at this because I know people can get very sensitive about
this kind of thing. I think the idea of the project is great but I do
wonder how aah, marketable the name kroupware will be, at least in
english speaking countries.

An alternative name that you might like to consider for a groupware
product is KDE Kontact.

I did a US trademark search.
http://tess.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=pqrag0.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl%7E%3A=PARA1%24LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=kontact&p_tagrepl%7E%3A=PARA2%24COMB&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

There is a live trademark on 'Kontact' by some kind of aluminum
coating company.

'Kontact Software Inc' also has a trademark but only on that complete
string.

If 'Kontact Software Inc' is ok I think 'KDE Kontact' should be ok.

Freshmeat doesn't show any project with the name Kontact.

There is sourceforge project called Kontact but that appears to be a
still born project, no code has been written and the project has been
inactive for months. (Didn't the creator of the project engage in a
discussion several months ago where I said I though the name Kontact
was really cool, grr)

Don.