Qt 3.1b1 (kde-cygwin && qt/windows/gpl)

Adam Treat manyoso at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 10 17:07:10 BST 2002

On Monday 09 September 2002 02:35 pm, Rob Kaper wrote:
> On Monday 09 September 2002 20:26, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > I think kde-cygwin is very important for KDE because everytime you talk
> > to third party software developers they mention that cross-platform
> > compatibility is an issue for them. That is ususally followed by either
> > "That's why we don't use KDE classes, but only Qt." or in rare cases by
> > questions how to wrap KDE / Qt classes so that they can compile both a
> > Qt-only and a KDE from the same sources.
> >
> > It will help KDE immensly as platform if the expansion to other platforms
> > is easier.
>
> Perhaps KDE, Inc could provide the kde-cygwin team with resources for the
> appropriate Qt licenses so a native Qt/Windows KDE could be developed.
> While it would require a Qt/Windows license to compile, we could still
> release the source under an open license and encourage third party
> application developers to use KDE because they can even use the KDE classes
> for their cross-platform applications.
>
> Rob

Oh, please include us for consideration if this moves forward!  We would
desperately like to provide a cross-platform version of Qt#, but this would
require a GPL'd version of Qt on Windows _or_ a license to use proprietary Qt
for development and then we could release the source as you suggested...

Please let us know,

Adam