Qt 3.1b1

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Mon Sep 9 16:15:41 BST 2002

On Monday 09 September 2002 10:50, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> As long as I'm responsible for Qt development, and with Reggie, Lars
> and Harri on the team, we'll hardly do something that fucks KDE up.
> Ok? Everybody getting this? Thank you.

This discussion got way too personal. I'm not even sure what it's about
in the first place anymore. The BC is an issue for users who use binary
packages (be it ones made by their distributions or bought from
theKompany or gotten in some other way). The idea is to keep those
working. They will? Well, then there's no problem. Discussion ends.
Now I'm really not sure who'd compile Qt by hand and neglect to do the
same for KDE, but if one does then putting a remark saying "WARNING:
you have recompile KDE after compiling/installing this version of Qt"
in README.qt-copy should be enough.

> Simon already said that he doesn't see much point in reverting it,
> but I'd also like to see the opinion of other guys first, for example
> Dirk.

To be honest I don't see a problem here. I think that in one of your
other emails you said that in the long run this change will be
beneficial for us - so if the benefits outweight the costs
(recompilation of KDE after upgrading Qt) then I see completely no
point in reverting.

Zack

--
So many pedestrians -- so little time.