Clipboard problems (yes, again)

Zsolt Rizsanyi rizsanyi at myrealbox.com
Thu Oct 31 11:34:46 GMT 2002

On Thursday 31 October 2002 10:58, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 31 October 2002 10:47, Hasso Tepper wrote:
> > Lubos Lunak:
> > > Hmm, I see it this way: Either somebody finally tells me a
> > > reasonable argument for keeping the syncing, or I'll remove it
> > > soon. The chances for persuading me on the automatic
> > > selection->clipboard syncing are much higher than on the both-way
> > > or opposite-way syncing. Since I don't think we'll get the whole
> > > system right for 3.1, the chances also increase for keeping the
> > > modes only for 3.1 (preferably with a warning somewhere though),
> > > and removing later.
> >
> > Paste to Konsole from clipboard is Shit+Insert, from selection
> > Ctrl+Shift+Insert. Why it is this way? Syncing was the only way for
> > my coworkers using KDE to get back old behavior "select something
> > with mouse and paste it with Shift+Insert" they were using for years.
> > Or I just don't know other way to do it? Is there any other way?
>
> If they select with the mouse, why don't they paste with the mouse (MMB)?
> This feels much more consistent than "select with mouse, paste with
> Shift+Insert".

It may be consistent :), but it is not always as the things work. Eg. if I
want to paste a konsole vim, then I first need to go to the insertion point,
then change to insert mode (press i), and then paste. And when you use vim,
then your hands are far from the mouse :)

But there are other more simple cases. Eg. you select an url in konqueror and
you decide to download it with wget (you have kde 3.0 so you dont have kget
;). Then you change to console, type 'wget ' and now you want to paste.

And I almost always want to paste the selection to the console and not the
clipboard.

Regards
Zsolt