Clipboard problems (yes, again)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Oct 31 10:20:38 GMT 2002

On Thursday 31 October 2002 09:24, Alexander Kellett wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 07:35:45PM +0100, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > Even a nice feature should be switched off (at least until a proper fix
> > is found) if it triggers that hard bugs.
> > (That bug has stolen me hours, too, as I first not got the idea that
> > klipper would trigger some kate copy and paste freeze)
>
> Same here (keditbookmarks). I am a user of the sync
> mode yet I still agree fully with the khz's suggestion.
>
> Well, at least I was a user until yesterday when I
> decided to use the new clipboard behavior, and (to my suprise)
> have up to now been quite impressed by its usefulness.

 Ok, I've already changed the default in KClipboard to be separate clipboard
and selection. I consider this one a must. Now let's see if I can remove more
>;).

 I want also remove the automatic clipboard->selection syncing, and will do so
soon (this will mean also removing one of the KClipboard policies). BTW, so
far the only reasons for keeping the syncing behaviour was 'it was that way
in KDE1/2' and the 'copy link location' problem. Not very good reasons for
keeping the automatic syncing. There are more things that were in KDE1/2 and
aren't in KDE anymore. The 'copy to link location' is rather a conceptual
problem of the whole system, and it's rather the system that should be fixed
(or clearly defined that this is the way it is), rather this working around
this specific case. See another mail (this issue is too late for 3.1 I'm
afraid).

 Hmm, I see it this way: Either somebody finally tells me a reasonable
argument for keeping the syncing, or I'll remove it soon. The chances for
persuading me on the automatic selection->clipboard syncing are much higher
than on the both-way or opposite-way syncing. Since I don't think we'll get
the whole system right for 3.1, the chances also increase for keeping the
modes only for 3.1 (preferably with a warning somewhere though), and removing
later.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer