Request for a one week delay of RC1

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Mon Oct 28 20:43:15 GMT 2002

On Sunday 27 October 2002 8:56 pm, Torsten Rahn wrote:
|  Hi :-)
|
|  As you might have noticed we have been heavily working on making Crystal
| SVG (which is a forked version mainly based on SVG artwork) and Keramik
| default. Originally this was planned to happen last weekend already.
| Unfortunately (due to private tasks and some lack of communication) we
| haven't been able to take care of this until this weekend.
|  Crystal and Keramik are the most visible changes and the most advertized
| ones for KDE 3.1. Therefore I feel that it is necessary to delay the
| release by one week to deliver a great new version of KDE that keeps its
| promises. Release dates have never been mandatory as soon as we felt that
| we haven't reached our goals and that there were some critical issues left.
| So I ask you kindly to approve my request for a one week delay.
|

|  Completed tasks:
|
|  - Renaming the hicolor-icons to make them install into the
| crystalsvg-folder. - making the Crystal-version from CVS used by default /
| Code changes to make this work without any conflicts
|  - Copying app-icons from kdelibs/pics/crystalsvg to the modules where they
|  belong
|  - moving KDEClassic (formerly known as HiColor) to kdeartwork.

With all my respect to Crystal icons, and your work, I am *AGAINST* removing
hicolor icons from kdelibs.
I already expressed several times my concerns about Crystal icons, together
with many other people. Do not make mistake by making Crystal icons the only
icons available in kdelibs!

BTW:  I have working set of my SVG icons available, I will release what's
avilable tomorrow ("release often" is not very appealing to me, but Crystal
needs alternative, IMO).
Niote that most of my icons can't be renderer by KSVG, so automatic "PNG
generation" would not work.
I atatched Home and arrow-left to this message, comments are welcome (tomorrow
I plan to make a web page)

My intention is to keep as mcuh from HiColor designs as possible, and to use
colorful design, but not at expense of usability (hint, hint...).

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)