Linker error compiling kdelibs cvs

Josef Weidendorfer Josef.Weidendorfer at gmx.de
Wed Oct 23 12:11:54 BST 2002

On Wednesday 23 October 2002 12:02, David Faure wrote:

> > `KHTMLInfoDlg::KHTMLInfoDlg(QWidget *, char const *, bool, unsigned int)'
> > .libs/htmlpageinfo.o: In function `virtual function thunk (delta:-40) for
> > KHTMLInfoDlg::~KHTMLInfoDlg(void)':
> > .libs/htmlpageinfo.o(.gnu.linkonce.t.__thunk_40__._12KHTMLInfoDlg+0x14):
> > undefined reference to `KHTMLInfoDlg::~KHTMLInfoDlg(void)'
> > .libs/htmlpageinfo.o(.gnu.linkonce.d.__vt_12KHTMLInfoDlg+0x20): undefined
> > reference to `KHTMLInfoDlg::~KHTMLInfoDlg(void)'
> > .libs/htmlpageinfo.o(.gnu.linkonce.d.__vt_12KHTMLInfoDlg+0x1c4):
> > undefined reference to `KHTMLInfoDlg::languageChange(void)'
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make[1]: *** [libkhtml.la.closure] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/kdevel/kde/bin/kdelibs/khtml'
> > make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Hi, I recently had exactly this error.
It was a problem with new QT lib and old plugins lying around (e.g. plugins of
an old qt lib, or the libkdewidgets from an old KDE compile).
uic always SEGFAULTed when running it per hand.

Solution: Remove the old plugins.
Is the way QT handles plugins really the right one? I think there should never
be SEGFAULTs with old plugin versions. Perhaps it's only my setup.

> Could be several things.
> * Old htmlpageinfo.cc/.h (not your case though, if you compiled from
> scratch) * Wrong uic being used (check the command used to recreate
> htmlpageinfo.cc) * Undefined symbol makes uic not work (I had to "make
> install" in kdecore so that uic wouldn't load a lib with undef symbols)
> (here again, check what happens when uic runs, and whether it shows any
> "undef symbol").
>
> Bug seems to be that we don't abort compilation when uic fails.

Yes, together with the error printing. I'm not sure how this is done with
shell pipelining (and a SEG FAULT of one program of the pipeline).

Josef