X Resize and Rotate support

Hamish Rodda meddie at yoyo.its.monash.edu.au
Sat Oct 19 16:06:05 BST 2002

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 12:47 am, Tim Jansen wrote:
> There should be a KIPC message so applications know that the screen
> resolution changed. Otherwise applications that save the size of the screen
> or the geometry of a window may move their windows to a hidden area.  I
> also need it for desktop sharing (because I need to change the size of the
> framebuffer).

That sounds reasonable.  Do you think this might be better to do in
[Q/K]application instead, because
1) they can select for and process RRScreenChangeEvents,
2) only apps which are on an affected screen are told about it and
3) if done in Qt, Qt apps could benefit
4) it is possible for apps other than those supplied by KDE to use the
extension, and then the KDE apps won't hear about it with KIPC.  Putting the
detection in kwin would not help those people who use other window managers.
.... ?

On second thought, perhaps it should just be up to the app to check the size
is ok on save / restore?

Cheers,
Hamish.