X Resize and Rotate support

Hamish Rodda meddie at yoyo.its.monash.edu.au
Sat Oct 19 15:32:03 BST 2002

Hi,

X Resize and Rotate is an extension to X which allows resizing, rotating,
reflecting, and changing the refresh rate of each screen of an X display on
the fly.  The extension has recently been committed to XFree86; the next
version, 4.3 is planned for release this year.

I've commited a user interface for this extension to kdenonbeta/kcmrandr.  It
consists (currently) of a control panel and a system tray app.  Screenshots
can be found here: http://yoyo.its.monash.edu.au/~meddie/patches/screenshots/

As you might expect, there are a few things which could be altered to support
the extension better, though the system is quite usable already:

Qt
* Font sizes on newly started apps are too small / too large after a
resolution decrease / increase respectively (X bug?)
* Popup menus do not get properly constrained to the size of the new window

Kwin
* Capture RRScreenChangeEvent and appropriately place windows

Kicker
* Capture RRScreenChangeEvent and reposition appropriately rather than (as
currently) being restarted via dcop

RandR programs
* Write a kded module (?) to retain a user-wide setting over logins
* Make KTimerDialog a respectable candidate for kdeui inclusion
* Not tested with Xinerama / multiple screens (but should support them if
there are no bugs)

Feedback welcome ;)  (though my net access will be limited for the next month)

Cheers,

Hamish