thumbnails: images vs picture

Malte Starostik malte at kde.org
Sat Oct 19 02:36:18 BST 2002

On Saturday 19 October 2002 03:15, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hello...
>
> bug # notes what several others have observed: why is there both an image
> and a picture preview option? looking at the code, one does svg and the
> other one is more general. from the perspective of the user this doesn't
> make much sense at all. attached is a patch that merges the two thumbnail
> generators into one.
For me as a user it does make some sense: one is about bitmaps, the other
about vector graphics, YMMV.

> a slightly different approach than that taken in the patch is to try and
> figure out the mimetype of the file with a call to KMimeType if the
> approach the patch takes is deemed too processor intensive and only run the
> qpicture load if it is an image/svg+xml ... i do wonder why the mimetype
> info isn't passed in to the ThumbCreator since it is known, though.. oh
> well =)
Good point, but unfortunately that'd break BC :-(
I don't like the brute force attempt to load as SVG first, what about this:
Both stay as they are, but both register themselves as "Images" so Konqueror
only presents one option to the user and the thumbgenerator will handle the
rest. This is theoretical, I didn't try if it works (multiple .desktop files
with the same "Name" key), I'll give it a try.
-Malte