KDirWatch (Re: problem with KIO::NetAccess and KDirLister/KFileTreeView)

Josef Weidendorfer Josef.Weidendorfer at gmx.de
Wed Oct 16 10:31:23 BST 2002

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 10:58, David Faure wrote:
> > > It's very slow over NFS, but that's another story ;)
> >
> > And that's the real reason to use FAM. On the NFS server machine, a fam
> > daemon needs to running and everything will be quite fast again.
>
> Right. We need to remember to answer this, to bug reports about the
> stat'ing over NFS... Cc'ing 48963 ;)

You won't have luck with this answer if the server is running on
Solaris/HP-UX/AIX: I don't think fam is delivered with this system.
Perhaps you can compile it there...
Fam comes from SGI, so of course IRIX has it, and now LINUX, too...

> > > much longer period like 1-5 seconds would be enough, but it gives an
> > > impression of slowness....)
> >
> > Yes, that's a possibility. And if a user wonder about the slowness,
> > simple say: Use FAM or DNOTIFY!
>
> Right :)

Aside from that: We already differentiate between NFS mounted / local in
KDirWatch. You can always set the STAT timer for NFS mounted dirs to 1 hour
(it's 5 seconds per default).
If we don't do this, an user with NFS mounted home won't be happy with KDE
because of kded doing lots of STATs in his home.

Josef