Kicker child panels' PanelAppletOpMenu

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Wed Oct 16 00:54:06 BST 2002

I just spent a while trying to figure out why the Kicker child menus'
"PanelAppletOpMenu" -- that thing that you get when you click on the tiny
arrow next to panel applets -- change the settings for the main Kicker panel
rather than the child panel.

What it comes down to is some code in kdebase/kicker/ui/appletop_mnu.cpp (/me
kicks whoever's idea it was to abbreviate menu "mnu" ;-) ).

Basically there's an ugly hack in there to determine the correct panel.  But
*this has been explicitly removed* (commented out rather) and replaced by the
nice, clean and wrong behavior of just using the "main" panel.

Describing the code a bit, there's a loop that checks back through the
"parenthood" tree to see what the applet in question is attached to is and
stores a pointer to the parent.  This parent finding business has been
replaced by "Panel::the()" which is just the "main" panel singleton accessor
thingy.

It looks like this was done in preparation for some design changes that never
happened, but the code was last touched a month ago.  Aaron, care to explain
yourself?  ;-)  I'd submit a patch, but well, it's already there...

Cheers,

-Scott

those who don't.