Start new session...

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Mon Oct 14 00:42:23 BST 2002

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 11:30:33PM +0200, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> I use it at work with KDE 3.0 so I know what I'm talking about.

ah, ok.
do you actually like it that way? don't you consider the explicit
activation a big usability improvement?

> What I meant is that now you disabled it by default you can only hit
> this problem by explicitly turning it on, removing most of the danger
> from it.

sure.

> And not having a kicker/kdesktop GUI to activate it hides it even more
> from the people that don't know exactly what they are doing.

twice is better, eh? :)

> > hey, we are not releasing tomorrow. :}
>
> We are deep into feature freeze and the release comes rather close
> already though.

i don't consider two weeks for such simple thing exactly close.

> Would you take the risk? Really?

yes. because there is hardly any.

> I definitely wouldn't.

coward. :))))

> There are not many features that justify ignoring feature and string
> freezes,

i still insist that this is no _new_ feature. :)

> especially if the code is more than a simple oneliner

i don't see any correlation between code length and string freezes. ;-)

> (and it definitely is a rather large addition).

i consider it a really trivial addition.
the only critical part of the whole stuff was the partial rewrite of the
unlock dialog. anyway, the code got quite some hammering in suse's beta
test already.

> > that depends on the definition. sure, for kicker & kdesktop this is
> > a new feature, but for kdebase it's just a moved and usability-wise
> > much improved feature.
>
> Sure, but you bring the feature now to a large audience, several
> orders of magnitudes larger than you used to.

no, as it's disabled by default.

> And the feature is potentially dangerous or even disastrous, so either
> you bring it out perfectly to the general public or not at all.

well, i won't restart this thread ...

> I'm afraid distros will enable it nevertheless.

suse 8.1 already does. so no need to be afraid, you can be certain. :}

> Better don't ship it at all to avoid that so your above statement is
> true.

i can't un-post the code. if they got the nerve, they will include it
anyway. some already did more risky things.

greetings