Start new session...

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Oct 10 19:47:53 BST 2002

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 07:15:55PM +0200, Josef Weidendorfer wrote:
> Terminology:
> You always have a "current running session" when you are working in KDE.
> A "session state" is a snapshot of the states of all running applications at
> one time.
> When you log out, you can save your current session state to an named "saved
> session state".

> When you log in, you start a new session by restoring from a saved
> session state.

no, when you log in, you can _set up the session_ by restoring a saved
session state. you don't start it, as it's already running.

> With the multiple session feature, with each login, you start a "new session",
> same as with first login.
>

> There's a lot of complexity in this feature.

sure, but this complexity is not unique to this feature. i repeat
myself, but some people don't seem to understand: this is not a
completely new feature, it's only _one more_ way to exploit unix's
multi-user capabilities. particularily, you were able to have configured
multiple xservers at the same time from the beginngings of time. the
only new thing about this feature is, that new xservers are started
on-demand by kdm, as opposed to running all the time or being started
manually with "startx -- :[1|2|...]" from the command line.

> Did you already thought about "unique" applications, e.g. kmail,
> korganizer? [...]
this feature is in no way intended for logging in the same user several
times (although it won't prevent you from doing so). usually it's
plainly stupid to do so.

> > > I don't think this is acceptable.
> >
> > i don't consider it a show-stopper. sure, it can be a major problem,
> > but hey, this is not the only way you can nuke yourself or somebody
> > else by accident.  i'll do my best anyway. ;)
>
> The problem is: You can nuke yourself or other people without knowing
> you did.

as you could before. you can nuke other manually started x-servers, you
can nuke vts you forgot to close and you can nuke other users that
logged into your machine remotely.
the only concern is, that i made it simpler for the "dummy" user to get
into this situation, so a generic solution is more urgent now.

> The most simplest thing I can think of is a warning box if "who" gives
> any users logged in.

yes, what i'm going to implement is roughly "who" with some voodoo
around it. still, that's not a five-minute-hack, as it requires some
"bidirectionality" within kdm.

greetings