Start new session...

Josef Weidendorfer Josef.Weidendorfer at gmx.de
Thu Oct 10 18:15:55 BST 2002

Hi,

just my 2 cents in this discussion...

Terminology:
You always have a "current running session" when you are working in KDE.
A "session state" is a snapshot of the states of all running applications at
one time.
When you log out, you can save your current session state to an named "saved
session state". When you log in, you start a new session by restoring from a
saved session state.
With the multiple session feature, with each login, you start a "new session",
same as with first login.

There's a lot of complexity in this feature.
Did you already thought about "unique" applications, e.g. kmail, korganizer?

First, you shouldn't probably be allowed to start 2 simultanious sessions from
the same saved session state.

Second, when kmail is running on session 1, and started in session 2, you will
get a "mailbox locked" error or alike. This confuses the user!
There should come up a message box like: "KMail is already running in another
simultanious session. Do you want to switch to the other session?".
The DCOP unique feature has to be user-global on one machine.

The same should happen when you try to edit a document on one session which
is already open in another. At the moment, you should get the error "file
busy". This is confusing, too. There should be the possibility to switch to
the editor in the other session.

And finally, this all goes wrong when you have a unique app in AutoStart...
Perhaps kmail should be diveded into a daemon running per user and several
KDE app instances talking to this daemon, so you can have kmail running in
multiple sessions at once.

On Thursday 10 October 2002 18:26, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> > > [...] so the bottom line is: most probably after 3.1. :(
> >
> > I don't think this is acceptable.
>
> i don't consider it a show-stopper. sure, it can be a major problem, but
> hey, this is not the only way you can nuke yourself or somebody else by
> accident.
> i'll do my best anyway. ;)

The problem is: You can nuke yourself or other people without knowing you did.
Perhaps a few days you remember because a document is trashed. When you nuke
yourself by accident in our ways, most of the time the document can be
restored somehow because you know it immediatly.

The most simplest thing I can think of is a warning box if "who" gives any
users logged in.

Josef