Release schedule reminder

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Wed Oct 2 15:24:58 BST 2002

Am Wednesday 02 October 2002 14:12 schrieb Allan Sandfeld Jensen:
> On Wednesday 02 October 2002 13:24, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> > > Another solution could be to introduce a new i18n EN US that translates
> > > from developer-speak to real US english.
> >
> > No damit no. Why is that hard to get that a message freeze starts shortly
> > before the release master and that the beta cycle is long enough to find
> > problems.
> > Malcom is translating the whole time the strings to en UK to find
> > spelling errors in the original and you might want to help him.
>
> I wasnt complaining about the release cycle or string fixing, I just
> suggested it because I like symmetry. It means that someone who cares a lot
> about accurate US english could translate/fix the english used by
> developers just as the case is with the UK english translator.
>
> And no, I dont care, english is not even my native tongue.
>
> Btw, wouldnt it be possible to write a tool that changed an original
> i18n-string in both the source-code and all the kde-i18n modules? That
> could also help ease message fixing. (excuse my ignorance if such a tool
> already exists)
Well, typos are _very_ seldom the problem for releases. Most of the time
we speak about stuff like "I need to add a message box". But yes, it would
be possible to change typos both in the source code and in the translation
and actually I've done it quite some times (and the tool is called sed :)

Greetings, Stephan