force it into 3.1? (Re: [RFC+PATCH] xp-like fast switching)

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Wed Oct 2 08:20:04 BST 2002

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 03:17:04PM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 08:09:32PM +0200, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > This is what is needed right now for KDE 3.1. I would consider it a
> > bug-fix.
> > Take a look at how it has worked for the last month or so:
> > 1. You go to lunch and therefore click on lock desktop.
> > 2. You come back and find a kdm login-screen, and you think to
> > yourself: WTF??
> > 3. You lock in again and for the rest of the day wonder why your
> > desktop is so damn slow all of a sudden.
> > 4. At the end of the day you log out and find your old locked session
> > and again you think to yourself: WFT??
> > Atleast this is what I did the first time I discovered this hidden
> > feature. We need to be able to see locked sessions in kdm, or this has
> > to be disabled (atleast by default) for KDE 3.1. I naivly thought that
> > was the plan all along.
> >
> ... and attached is the other side. :)

One person who believes he can't live without is not a very good reason to
add this feature.
XP introduced this feature as an answer to our session management. I still
believe our session management is 100 times better and much more logical
then the way XP does things. It is also a lot more foolproof (albeit a bit
slower).

We have the option to allow for multiple (named) sessions and providing a
good UI for that is hard enough; adding this feature creates 2 features
competing for attention; both do about the same, but are very different
in nature.
IMO KDE is not big enough for both of them.

Thomas Zander   zander at planescape.com
We are what we pretend to be