Leaving KMail development

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Sat Nov 30 02:52:12 GMT 2002

On Friday 29 November 2002 03:44, Marc Mutz wrote:
> I also propose that Ingo does this job for 3.2; here's why:

Full ACK.

> Regrading you, Zack, Aaron and Carsten, I think you will agree with
> me that it's not _yet_ your time :-)))

Oh, I never implied otherwise :) Maintaining implies a great commitment
to a product and in the case of KMail virtually hacking only on it. You
know me, I'm a young blood (not only in the sense of being probably the
youngest on the team ;) ) and like hacking on something different every
week :) Besides, lets be honest here, KMail is most probably the most
ungrateful application to maintain in KDE right now. Our team is very
small for an application of this size and we're all very different. I
think the only thing we agree on is that Emacs is better than vi (if I
recall correctly we all use either GNU/Emacs or XEmacs). The last thing
we would need on the team is one of those damn vi hippies (why do I
feel that I'm going to get my butt kicked for that one? ;) )

> The other option would be an "external" release dude, such as Stephan
> or Waldo. If one of them wants to do the job, I'm open for discussing
> that.

To be honest, I think I have a proposition that should satisfy everyone
and hopefully everyone will think it's fair.
Our "release dude" should be the person who contributed the most before
the last release. Ingo is basically the person who made 3.1 possible.
He contributed the most and fixed the by far the biggest number of bugs
during the last year. He deserves to be our maintainer. Don contributed
the most but only during the last three months or so.
Basically this means that the KMail maintainer is always going to be the
person who contributes the most. Simple as that.
After each release we're going to pick the release dude. In fact it's
not even going to be picking, as we'll all know who it's going to be
before it happens (commits say it all). That also implies that the
maintainer is picked only based on technical merits of his/hers work,
and that a person can be the maintainer for as long as they want to and
remain top contributors.
I'd also propose changing of the about box a little bit , to look like
this:
Maintainer :  ...
Core Developer: ...
Core Developer: ...
Core Developer: ...
Core Developer: ...
...Other Developers...

Meaning, the maintainer name and address are on the top, the mailing
list is underneath the maintainer (hopefully thank to it maintainer
will not get a whole bunch of questions and emails not related to KMail
development every day). And underneath the mailing list we have a list
of four most active developers during the last release.
Comments, questions?

Zack

--
Does this .sig make my butt look big?