kasbar causing video hickups

Zsolt Rizsanyi rizsanyi at myrealbox.com
Tue Nov 26 14:28:26 GMT 2002

Hi!

I have/had mysterious hickups when playing video by various means. It has
happened with all players (mplayer, xine, ...), and it even happened with
qtvision (kwintv3) when in non-overlay mode, and with _games_. That is with
every program with dynamic video output.

I thought that it is a hardware problem for two months, but recently I have
found out that it manifests itself only if my user is logged in, and only if
KDE is running.

So I have investigated my kde settings and found out, that Kasbar is the
culprit. When I have found that out it was obvious that the problem is caused
by generating the window previews. So I have turned that off, and now
everything is okay.

I'm reporting this because of two reasons:
-- if somebody has the same problem, and wondering what it could be
-- I consider this a bug
I can live without the previews, so I turn them off. But IMHO it would be
absolutely necessary to have this option off by default, and have a warning
when trying to turn it on.
Or of course the bug could be fixed, if that is possible.

Regards
Zsolt