KDE 3.1 final tarballs

Thiago Macieira thiagom at wanadoo.fr
Mon Nov 25 19:40:22 GMT 2002

Trevor Harmon wrote:
>> I'll tell you when the branch is opened and the freeze of the HEAD
>> branch is over (not yet!).
>
>Pardon me if this has been discussed before (it's not in the developer FAQ),
>but I thought the whole point of CVS was to avoid freezing the source code
> in these situations. I'm not a CVS expert, but I would have thought that
> when the code goes into a "release candidate" phase, it branches into a
> tree that is separate from HEAD. That way, showstopper fixes can be applied
> separately to the 3.1 branch while everyone can work on HEAD without
> affecting the stable 3.1. Of course, this produces some extra work because
> the showstopper fixes would have to be ported to the HEAD, but the big
> benefit is that we wouldn't have to halt development of 3.2 for several
> weeks. Am I missing something?

Ok, I'm probably not the best person to answer this, but here it goes, the way
I see it:

the development isn't halted. It's just that HEAD is, at this time, targeted
to the 3.1 release. So, things that don't go into 3.1, don't go into HEAD,
right? If you want to develop more things that won't be for 3.1, you can
develop in a branch, like the make_it_cool branch or the KDE_3_0_BRANCH.

Soon, however, HEAD will be branched and the KDE_3_1_BRANCH will be created,
from where the 3.1.1, 3.1.2 and whatever other releases will be made, if
necessary. HEAD, at that time, will begin full 3.2 development. You may then
merge your make_it_cool branch or whatever you named it, as well as forthport
(yuck!) any changes made in the 3.1 or 3.0 branches, if that happened.[

But I should like to say that, at this time, all developers should be more
interested in getting 3.1 done right rather than be doing the cool new
features for 3.2. There's no harm in waiting a few more weeks, if it takes
that much, to begin working for 3.2. 3.1, however, can't wait.

Just my 0,02 €

--
  Thiago Macieira - UFOT Registry number: 1001
 thiagom at mail.com
   ICQ UIN: 1967141  PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358
     Registered Linux user #65028