KDE 3.1 final tarballs

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Mon Nov 25 19:26:10 GMT 2002

> I'll tell you when the branch is opened and the freeze of the HEAD
> branch is over (not yet!).

Pardon me if this has been discussed before (it's not in the developer FAQ),
but I thought the whole point of CVS was to avoid freezing the source code in
these situations. I'm not a CVS expert, but I would have thought that when
the code goes into a "release candidate" phase, it branches into a tree that
is separate from HEAD. That way, showstopper fixes can be applied separately
to the 3.1 branch while everyone can work on HEAD without affecting the
stable 3.1. Of course, this produces some extra work because the showstopper
fixes would have to be ported to the HEAD, but the big benefit is that we
wouldn't have to halt development of 3.2 for several weeks. Am I missing
something?

Trevor