use of malloc.h in KDE

David Leimbach leimbacd at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 22 12:37:08 GMT 2002

> After a little research, it _seems_ that most (all?) major
> implementations of unix have a malloc definition in <stdlib.h>, so we
> could just do a straightforward replace.

This is the correct C standard place to have malloc's prototype... some
people
omit malloc's prototype altogether which is *very bad* for other
reasons. [64 bit ones
in fact]

> The only problem with this is that I cannot be sure to catch all
> implementations that way, and at this late stage it's a risk. I don't
> want to be the cause of a build failing elsewhere, but I would like to
> fix this now.

The ones that aren't caught should be rightfully clobbered and forced
to conform to the
C standard... easy as that.  If they cannot conform in a reasonable
amount of time they can
be handled with #ifdef magic... FreeBSD does the right thing and should
not be the corner case.

> Would it make sense to do the replace now, and those implementations
> that still need <malloc.h> could include it conditionally?
>
> Does anyone see any danger in this?

Only the danger that 3.1 RC3 is out and that it may be too late before
a big release to handle this
I do however see this as a bug and not a feature FreeBSD is missing.