[rfc] KConfig Schema (was: Re: Experiences with KDE-CVS at LinuxWorldExpo)

Hadacek Nicolas nicolas.hadacek at free.fr
Tue Nov 19 08:52:14 GMT 2002

Le Mardi 19 Novembre 2002 00:37, Marc Mutz a écrit :
> <snip>
>
> > Looks good indeed. Although I'm not thrilled by the idea that we have
> > to parse a XML file first in order to read a config file. That's not
> > going to help performance.
>
> <snip>
>
> Also, the fact that every config item seems to be a QObject is not
> nice... ( sizeof( QObject ) == 40 ).

in fact my code implements two concepts that probably need to be separated
indeed :
- config key, type, range, default, description, ... (which could probably be
nicely implemented with Marc scheme).
- tracking of the config state (for config dialogs) which needs a QObject to
receive/emit signals (like modified) from the config element Q/KWidget to the
dialog.... thinking about it, it is propably not necessary to have a QObject
by config element though :)

cu,
Nicolas

PS: btw talking about XML validation at build time : is there any reason why
the ui.rc files aren't checked for validity at build time ? (perharps there
are ? Stephan ?) there seems to be no dtd though...