Showstopper: kcontrol and konsole icons still broken

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Sun Nov 17 13:08:21 GMT 2002

On Sunday 17 November 2002 13:31, Andy Fawcett wrote:
> On Sunday 17 November 2002 14:24, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know, it's weekend and all that, but this is important.
> >
> > I think the current icons for konsole and kcontrol are a kind of
> > showstopper for the 3.1 release. The reasoning behind this has been layed
> > out here already, not only by me, Michael Brade and Alexander Neundorf
> > also voiced their concern.
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't believe 'unclear' icons constitute a 'showstopper'
> in any release. Missing icons would, of course.

I don't want to become neilish on this topic, but I must make one thing clear:
Icons are not only nice thingies to click on, visual consistency is as
important for a desktop as functional consistency, and not only from an
artistic point of view. As a rule of thumb, you never change the meaning of
an established symbol to something totally unrelated. I wouldn't like finding
myself in a conference room instead of a toilet cabinet because someone
messed with the signs at the door, especially if I'm under pressure :)

> My personal feeling is that the current icons are okay. Not brilliant, but
> okay. They're certainly not something to postpone a release over.

They're misleading. You under-estimate the fact that humans are mainly
habit-driven.

regards,
	matze

--
Matthias Welwarsky
Fachschaft Informatik FH Darmstadt
Email: matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de

"all software sucks equally, but some software is more equal"