KIO::PasswordDialog and the keep checkbox

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Sun Nov 17 01:03:45 GMT 2002

Hi Marc,

If I understand you correctly, what you are missing is the ability to
determine the original value of that checkbox right ?  This way you can
restore or show what the user has chosen previously.  If so then I think you
completely misunderstood, justifiably so I might add, how the "Keep Password"
term was intended to be used in the first place. :)  The "Keep Password"
setting was originally intended to indicate "Keep Password for entire KDE
session" for the kdesu daemon.  In my attempt to solve the "annoying password
prompt for every single action problem for the 2.0 release", I extended this
widget (which was originally designed to serve kdesu) to provide prompt for
the io-slaves as well. I never intended it nor assumed that it would be used
as a generic password prompt which is now showing the problems with the
previous choices.

Anyways, AFAIR what your propose will break the original user of this dialog
which is kdesu.  It uses the keep password as it is now and it even hardcodes
how the value of that checkbox is set by reading the global configuration
file.  In case you are wondering this is set from the "Remember password"
option from the Security & Privacy ->Password module in the control center.
>From kdesu's point of view only the user determines whether this flag is set
or not.  This is not ideal from other applications point of course and there
is a couple of ways this issue can be addressed in a BIC manner without the
need to mess with all the other things you mentioned. I do not know doing so
would be advisable at this point however since we are in a freeze. How about
post 3.1 ?

Regards,
Dawit A.