Oh well...

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Sat Nov 16 16:55:08 GMT 2002

On Saturday 16 November 2002 17:18, Tim Jansen wrote:
> On Saturday 16 November 2002 16:09, Michael Brade wrote:
> > why?? Just have a look at the attached screenie and tell me if you find
> > the konsole and kcontrol icon at first sight.
>
> I dont understand the problem. Especially konsole is *much* easier to
> identify with its blue color and the shell, compared to the hicolor icon.
> KControl is a little bit more difficult, but not because of the use of
> black, but because the upper left corner is to similar to the background
> color. It could need a bit more contrast IMHO.
> Green can't be a solution, green hurts the eye when it is next to blue
> things.
>
> bye...

Um, actually, I think konsole is harder to identify now that it's blue. The
konsole icon used to be black, and as people tend to identify things by
colour first, they will erroneously click on kcontrol a lot. Think about the
visually impaired, too. For them, it's quite hard to identify the fine
structures within an icon. Colour is easier (if they're not also colour-blind
;)

The prominent colour of the kcontrol icon used to be green. The wrench is a
good idea, actually. Ideally, the circuit board from the KDE2 kcontrol icon
plus the wrench would have a good chance to be recognized, and users can
smoothly learn the orange wrench standing for all kind to configuration
tools.

I doesn't hurt to think a little more pragmatic about these things, not only
artistic :)

Actually, I think a big "K", together with the wrench would be a good idea for
the control center icon on the long run.

regards,
	matze

--
Matthias Welwarsky
Fachschaft Informatik FH Darmstadt
Email: matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de

"all software sucks equally, but some software is more equal"