Release Criteria

Erik Sjölund erik.sjolund at home.se
Fri Nov 15 13:19:05 GMT 2002

On Friday 15 November 2002 06:37 am, George Staikos wrote:
> On November 14, 2002 14:56, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> > > - All modules compile on the most common platforms we port to:
> >
> > This might be a problem, just because there are different configs. If we
> > state the config though that causes KDE to build, then I am all for this.
> >
> > I know there are some issues with KDE on solaris 8 w/ gcc 2.95 that are
> > gone with 3.2, but most installs still use gcc 2.95... so there may be
> > some issues there.
>
>    Hopefully we can come to a consensus on this, or at least have a few
> people provide their configs and results as a start and work on a table
> from there.

I have been writing a kde app for easier sharing and publishing of build
configurations. It's called Adivobuilder. The build configuration file in xml
format should be possible to transform with xslt into a bash script (not yet
implemented) or into html format like this:
http://www.abc.se/~m10828/adivobuilder/html/kdecvs/

Additional to the published build result on the web, you have an easy way of
sharing your build configuration setup by means of sharing the adivobuilder
data file or a generated bash script. Setting up an automatic build system to
regularly build the kde project and publish the results automatically on the
web would not be that hard (just writing a dcop-interface is missing).

> > > - Each application installed should be tested for basic functionality.
> > >         - CVS module maintainer should approve that each app works at
> > > least minimally.
> >
> > This I think is key, id be willing to put up a simple php script that
> > allowed each developer to sign off on their module before it was
> > relelased. This also should help us identify unmaintained code faster.
>
>   I was hoping that the whole system would be setup online with at least
> some sort of web interface.  Otherwise it would be too difficult to
> coordinate.

About publishing automatic tests on the web:
One way to publish test results on the web could be to put the test commands
into Adivobuilder. Then you would have a way to publish the test results in a
HTML table on the web. The table cells would be green or red depending on the
result.

Screenshots (from old version) and source for Adivobuilder:
http://www.abc.se/~m10828/adivobuilder/html/screenshots.html

Maybe this gave you some ideas about different possibilties?

thanks & regards
Erik Sjölund