configure issues for 3.0.x and 3.1x

Sturm Andreas andreas.sturm at ivm-automotive.com
Thu Nov 14 12:13:55 GMT 2002

Hi!

I am building kde 3.0.x and kde3.1x on the platform IRIX. I found two
issues with configure lately:

kde 3.0.x:

I am using openssl from SGI's freeware site. It installs under
/usr/freeware/lib/openssl. I use the flag
--with-openssl-dir=/usr/freeware/lib/openssl. But if you let configure
do what is is supposed to do it ends up using
/usr/freeware/lib/openssl/lib as directory which the librarys are taken
from. This libs are o32 (the old binary format of IRIX) which is *not*
compatible with a n32 build. Therefore you are not able to build ssl
secured connections with konqeror afterwards. I admit that the openssl
installation of that package is somewhat sub-optmial but i would like to
use that package anyway since compiling/packaging kde is enough work for
one let alone building any and all support libs. Would it be possible to
add a configure option like --with-openssl-lib=?

kde 3.1x:

In that configure scripts are checkings for a lib64 directory. If these
is present the installation path for the libs defaults therefore to
lib64 (these also gets coded into the *.la files). I think that it is
wrong to assume this only by checking for the existance of a particulary
directory since most software, even on 64 bit IRIX, is n32. By the way,
would it be possible to compile kde with 64 bit (i know there is no
sense for this atm; i am just curious)?

Best regards!

Andy