Common icon themes

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Sat Nov 9 11:03:54 GMT 2002

On Saturday 09 November 2002 11:19, Antonio Larrosa Jiménez wrote:
> 3) We keep hicolor as a default "neutral style" icon theme, where all
> _3rd_party_ apps must install their "neutral style" icons. Note that when
> I said 3rd party I don't only mean mozilla, acroread, or some other
> desktop neutral app, but I mean apps which are not distributed from within
> each desktop's CVS, but anyway, if you already read the "faq" I wrote, I'm
> sure you already got the concept.

Isn't the name 'hicolor' KDE specific and only there because we happened to
use it for KDE 3.0? Wouldn't it be better to use a name like 'common',
'general', 'default' or whatever for those icons, and make that a _symlink_
to hicolor, or alternatively, make hicolor a symlink to this directory? That
way you are downwards compatible, but remove the burden of keeping the
highcolor name ad infinitum just because it's a legacy of the past.
--
Martijn