KDE 3.1.0 RC2 still has odd kdm problem

Javier Marcet jmarcet at pobox.com
Wed Nov 6 15:48:47 GMT 2002

* Dirk Mueller <mueller at kde.org> [021104 22:43]:

>I've just finished uploading the KDE 3.1.0 RC2 tarballs.

>You can find them at

>ftp://ktown.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/latest/

>Download, test, hammer on it, file bugreports against showstoppers on

>http://bugs.kde.org/

>to ensure that we have a stable release.

Using it on my machine, it's getiing better and better. Thankfully last
big bug in qt-copy is fixed now (the one related to LANG and LC_CTYPE).

Yet I have a strange problem with kdm which shows up and vanishes since
some post 3.0.x version on cvs. With that I mean that on some
compilations it works fine while it fails on others. It worked on
3.1_beta2, but fails on both rc1 and rc2.
The problem is that using kdm as the X login frontend, my keyboard does
not work. The mouse does, hence if I enable a pasword-less login I can
load the whole KDE. However the keyboard won't work either. I cannot
even Ctrl+Alt+Fx to go a console. The only way is choosing 'Console
Login' from kdm.
This does not happen at all if I use xdm or Gnome's gdm. Even if I login
in a kde session, the keyboard will still work fine.

I've been unable to track this bug down. There were some bigger problems
with kdm in the past, at least I had them, but it was with cvs HEAD
versions and at then end it was a font-related problem.

With this on the other hand I don't see anything strange in my logs,
neither from kernel, from kdm nor from XFree86.

The problem arises whether I try different kernels and X versions.
Even different hardware, my machine is VIA+AthlonXP+MatroxG400 based but
I came across it on a IntelBX+PIII+NVidia system.

Both were using Gentoo Linux, though. Which I installed.
Both use gcc 3.2 and glibc 2.3.1 although it happened with glibc 2.2.5
too.

Can anyone shed a light on were the problem might be so I can finally
track down the bug and get rid of it?
The first thing I tried and verified was working well was PAM since it
was the responsible for all the permissions, but I couldn't see any
problem there.

--
Javier Marcet <jmarcet at pobox.com>