[quanta-devel] Re: Quanta within KDE 3.1

Andras Mantia amantia at virtualartisans.com
Wed Nov 6 10:31:32 GMT 2002

Hi,

On 2002. November 06., Wednesday 12:21, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 6. November 2002 11:01 schrieb Andras Mantia:
> >  I would also prefer to see Quanta in KDE 3.1, so I've created the pot
> > file and I attach it now. You can also get it from the CVS (quanta/po).
> > There are already some translation, altough they may be out of date.
>
> Thanks, but this is not the way how translations work in KDE.

I can imagine, but this was the faested way to "immediately provide a recent
POT file" to you. ;-)

> The POT file
> needs to be part of kde-i18n/templates and existing translations have to be
> in kde-i18n/language-code/messages/module. You may contact  Lukáš Tinkl or
> Stephan Kulow for the details how to achieve this (if they don't react on
> this themselves).
Ok, I will contact them. I don't want to screw up anything, so I live the job
to them to move the POT and PO files to the right locations.

> >  Unfortunately I'm not subscibed to the kde-i18n-doc list so I haven't
> > knew about your questions. I've had some conversation with Lauri Watts,
> > but that was mainly regarding the documentation.
>
> Documentation POTs should be in kde-i18n/templates/docs/module.
>
> > PS: In the CVS there is also a kmdr-executor.pot, kmdr-editor.pot and
> > widgets.pot. Those belong to the app. called Kommander, and my opinion is
> > to skip the translation of those now, as you will not have any time. I'm
> > not the developer of Kommander, but I hope that Marc Britton, who wrote
> > it, will agree.
>
> Well, like I said: the goal of many (or most) translation teams is to
> provide their users with a fully localized desktop environment. Please be
> aware that for many people programs in a English language are simply
> unusable.

I am aware of that! English isn't my first language, nor the second... Look,
we worked hard to get Quanta ready for 3.1 (from coding point of view). I
would really like to see it released with KDE 3.1 but if it means that 3.1
will be delayed (and if other won't like it) and it screwes up the whole
release plan, then I can accept (and I think Eric Laffoon can accept it also)
that it won't be included, but we will release it separately this time, just
as before. This is bad for us, but personally I would like to serve the
community first of all and take in to account their wishes. So let's see what
can we do. I would like to read also some "official" decision.

Andras