kde 3.1 -- make Keramik default?

Volker Augustin Volker.Augustin at stud.uni-regensburg.de
Fri May 31 20:53:30 BST 2002

> So far I only see 2 people who are really strictly against it. Even if I
> missed one or two others the consensus on switching to Keramik seems
> overwhelming, considering that we are talking a matter of taste here. I'm
> certainly not for ignoring significant minority votes or forcing things
> through no matter what. But if we always aim at a true 100% consensus of
> everybody we won't get anywhere.

Well, *what* is keramik?

Keramik as in kdelibs is butt-ugly IMO. It just looks bloated, takes away
sceen space and pretends that a screen is three-dimensional. What I dislike
most is that it pretends to be three-dimensional. While this is ok within
limits (Light, 3rd), I do not really like it because at least my screen is
still flat ... and I doubt three-dimensional screens will come anytime soon
;-)

The kwin keramik stuff in kdebase is nice (though it is not compiled by
default - which seems to indicate that it is alpha quality ... should it be
the default then?).

The Crystal icons are far too flashy and lack clear borders, especially the
KMail icon. Also the icon for konqueror and others similar round icons
(e.g. for xmms) might have nice colors but I can hardly see what they
should represent. And it's not all looks. *Some* part of the style should
be about recognizability and usability.

Volker