Kate CVS module

Michael Matz matz at kde.org
Fri May 31 18:37:13 BST 2002

Hi,

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Christoph Cullmann wrote:

> Easy answer: Because the next planned changes for kate will make it
> even huger than currently (konqui style sidebar, bigger BIC plugin
> interface) which will let it head into the gideon/quanta direction, it
> won't be a ide or webdesign app, but it will be a "killer" editor with
> mdi (as current, but think of dropping the lame sdi approach) which
> won't fit into kdebase, but fits well as seperated cvs module near
> quanta and kdevelop. If you say I can do that in kdebae, fine, no
> problem, but I think that is not the sense of kdebase (nor of
> kdeutils).

Well, then why not implement them first.  If it then is too big we still
can outsource it, although I think on of the kdeextragear-* (or however
the modules are called now) is enough.  I mean, currently the kate
directory is 1.2 Mb, while kdebase is 61.5.  This isn't a bad proportion,
so currently size is no issue.  If you wonder about the abilities of kate
being too advanced for kdebase, well, so be it.  You can btw. also release
separately from kdebase your own kate package, if you absolutely want, so
this shouldn't be an issue as well.  I.e. right now I don't see the need
to factor it out.  OTOH it's basically yours, so you kind of decide anyway
;)

Ciao,
Michael.