Kate CVS module

Christoph Cullmann crossfire at babylon2k.de
Fri May 31 17:51:07 BST 2002

On Thursday 30 May 2002 23:45, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 11:20:51PM +0200, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > On Thursday 30 May 2002 23:03, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > You will need a release coordinator for that as well! Plus you need a
> > > lot of #ifdefs in your code if you don't plan to develop agains the
> > > latest _released_ kdelibs.
> > >
> > > For something as small as kate (sorry...) I'm not sure its worth it,
> > > but if somebody steps up as a release coordinator and the issues are
> > > clear on always releasing against an 'old' kdelibs you won't hear
> > > problems from me.
> > >
> > > The kdelibs version will stay I presume.
> >
> > My "release thoughts" just where:
> > - release it as normal with any kde release
> > - release some tarballs myself between kde releases
> >
> > Why would I need any release manager for that ?
>
> You don't;
> but, why would you need a seperate CVS for that?
Easy answer: Because the next planned changes for kate will make it even huger
than currently (konqui style sidebar, bigger BIC plugin interface) which will
let it head into the gideon/quanta direction, it won't be a ide or webdesign
app, but it will be a "killer" editor with mdi (as current, but think of
dropping the lame sdi approach) which won't fit into kdebase, but fits well
as seperated cvs module near quanta and kdevelop. If you say I can do that in
kdebae, fine, no problem, but I think that is not the sense of kdebase (nor
of kdeutils).

--
Christoph "Crossfire" Cullmann
Kate/KDE developer