Running kde2 and kde3 apps in /usr?

Kurt Granroth granroth at kde.org
Fri May 31 18:30:04 BST 2002

There are any number of ways to be able to run kde2 and kde3 apps on the
same system.. but afaik, they all involve putting the two systems in
different root directories.  This doesn't work on, say, Debian systems,
though since all of kde needs to be in /usr.

Now it is possible with the some tweaking of version numbers to get all of
the kde libraries from kde2 and kde3 to install in /usr/lib.  This isn't
very hard since most of the "could-be-problematic" ones go into the
/usr/lib/kde2 or /usr/lib/kde3 subdirs.  So far, so good.

The question at hand, though, is just how much do kde apps need the "helper"
apps (like dcopserver) from their own version?  Can a kde2 app use the kde3
dcopserver, for instance?  And beyond that, is there anything I'm missing
that would absolutely prevent kde2 apps from running on a kde3 system (with
kde2 libs)?

FWIW, I tried to very very quick tests with kdcop and kmail.. the former
worked just fine, the latter crashed.  I thought I'd ask here before going
into too much investigation on the why's.

Anybody *know* the answer?
--
Kurt Granroth - "KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop"
KDE Developer/Evangelist | granroth at kde.org
http://www.granroth.org  | kurt at granroth.org