kde 3.1 -- make Keramik default?

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Thu May 30 22:19:52 BST 2002

On Thursday 30 May 2002 22:56, Neil Stevens wrote:
> They do so for marketing reasons, it's very simple.  They work to attract
> your attention so that they can mold your thoughts and increase your
> desire for their product.
>
> These same companies also tend to do things like change file formats
> regularly, implement their own incompatible proprietary extensions to
> standard protocols, and more to further their own marketing goals.
>
> I would argue that all of them harm existing users.

The latter definitely and unarguably does. The former remains to be seen. I
always loved highcolor and I still think it's one of the best available
styles for KDE, but as more people stated, I've seen it a bit 'too long' now.
I've looked at it for almost two years, which is why I recently switched to
Liquid.

I _am_ an existing user and I _do_ like Keramik. I don't think making it
default harms me in any way...

Because I definitely want mouse over highlights I have the choice between
MotifPlus, HighColor, Liquid and DotNet. DotNet is too 'square' for my
liking, MotifPlus is an all-around ugly beast, and I wanted to switch away
from HighColor I thus ended up with Liquid. But although nice at first, it's
a bit too candystick when you use it longer, so I'm still not too happy with
it. Keramik with smaller buttons/combos and mouseovers would be a perfect
style for me.

That said, I agree with you that change just for change is not _necessarily_
good. Nor is it always evil. Only time can tell. In general I think you
should consider for everything artwork and eye candy what's 'in fashion' and
make that default.

Highcolor, as Tackat perfectly said, reflects the 'classical' 90s, which
doesn't make it ugly, but it does make it 'old-fashioned', or more politely
'out of fashion'. Keramik is a fresh new modern look.

I for one don't wear clothes from a few years old, even though not all of them
are worn and I would still fit most. If I design a document for print I use
another layout than a few years ago. Other use of whitespace, other artwork
style, other use of lines. You get the drift. KDE got different colours over
the years, because current fashion is a tad brighter than a few years back.

KDE should follow fashion for default and provide the classic look for those
used to it as an option. My two cents.

Martijn