kde 3.1 -- make Keramik default?

Shawn Gordon shawn at thekompany.com
Thu May 30 20:37:21 BST 2002

At 12:27 PM 5/30/2002, you wrote:
>Am Donnerstag, 30. Mai 2002 20:41 schrieb Neil Stevens:
>
> > > That's true for both sides - since this is purely a look thing, I don't
> > > think you can expect *objective* arguments from either side.
> >
> > Then why change?
>
>Well, simply for the same reason that triggers a lot of other things: People
>getting a gut feeling that it is time for a change, people getting finally
>tired of looking at the same thing day after day, people just liking
>something better than something else. All this is obviously the case with the
>vast majority here regarding the old style, myself included. They apparently
>want KDE 3 to be a new start and want its appearance to reflect this feeling.
>
>Therefore I'm adding my "me too" here: Make those Keramik widgets a bit
>smaller, and also switch to the Crystal icons in the same go (but get rid of
>those red hearts and other toy stuff for everything that's not really a toy).
>
>Thomas
>
>--
>KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org
>Deutsche KDE-Uebersetzung: http://i18n.kde.org/teams/de

I think Thomas has hit the nail on the head here.  This is why people lease
cars, so they can get a new one every few years.  A "look" no matter how
innovative or cool becomes stodgy over time.  KDE 3 was a good step
forward, but 3.1 is supposed to be the major functionality release.  My
personal opinion is that a new and updated look as default will also
silence a lot of those critics that say KDE is ugly, Bart Decrem is a good
recent example.

A new look gets people excited again, creates a new "wow" factor, gets them
to show their friends and families again because it is new and exciting
again for them, not the same thing they have looked at every day.  There
are plenty of good reasons for a new default theme, and Keramik is nice
because it is unique and not a knock of of WinXP or Mac OS X.

Regards,

Shawn Gordon
President
theKompany.com