Font Mime-Types (again)

Craig Drummond cpdrummond at freeuk.com
Thu May 23 17:18:11 BST 2002

Further to my previous postings on the subject...

I realise that registering proper MIME-types is the 'correct' thing to
do - but,
as I'm not an expert in the intracacies of all the font file formats,
this is
out of my scope.

Also, at the moment it is fairly common to use the "x-" qualifier for
font
mimetypes, whether this is 'correct' or not is another matter - and
both KDE and
GNOME currently use the "x-" qualifier for fonts.

Currently KDE has 2 font mime-types:

application/x-truetype-font  TrueType fonts
application/x-font           Postscript & pcf fonts

...and GNOME (looking at the gnome-vfs-magic file) has:

application/x-font-vfont
application/x-font-ttf
application/x-font-type1
application/x-font-sunos-news
application/x-font-bdf
application/x-font-pcf
application/x-font-speedo
application/x-font-libgrx
application/x-font-dos
application/x-font-framemaker
application/x-font-tex
application/x-font-tex-tfm
application/x-font-linux-psf

The only conflicting entry is that for TrueType fonts. In order to
harmonise
things I would like to propose removing the existing x-truetype-font
and
x-font mimetypes, and replace them with the following:

application/x-font-ttf
application/x-font-type1
application/x-font-bdf
application/x-font-pcf
application/x-font-snf         (Not used in GNOME)
application/x-font-speedo
application/x-font-ghostscript (Not used in GNONE)

The other GNOME entries I am unsure of...

Craig.